Sunday, July 16, 2006

I ran over something today...

driving here is hard.

space is limited. a road is also a sidewalk. And a place for merchandising everything you can imagine.

Imagine trying to drive a SUV through the aisles of a walmart supercenter on a weekend, then throw a few more vehicles in the mix, then add massive potholes and road hazards, and some livestock. Then switch the steering wheel and gearstick to the other side of the car.

It got a little tight today. I was okay on the right, as I was just squeezing past the dala-dala (minibus) so that it could move forward, so the cab behind it could inch forward, to open up a route for me (I always liked Tetris, by the way).

Then everything changed.

I squashed some man's onions.



If I was in America, I could have rested secure by responding, "yeah, but you left them in the road." This isn't America.

I was pretty excited that I ran over something that I knew the Swahili word for (against all odds). When they held up the evidence, I responded "vitanguu!", hoping that my superior language skills would absolve me of guilt. No luck.


My guilt offering: 200 Tanzanian Shillings. And I didn't get to keep the onions.

6 Comments:

Blogger David U said...

Kevin, Bobby Garner here in Searcy turned me on to your blog. I lived in West Africa for 3 years, so you and I have at least one thing in common. I am enjoying reading your posts, and I am praying for your efforts in the name of Christ. God bless you and your family.

In HIM,
David Underwood

1:35 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Well, if you had to squish something, an onion isn't too bad a thing to squish! And we get annoyed here at a little road construction!

Give everyone a hug for me! You all are in our prayers constantly.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Kim Q. said...

It is such a blessing to be taken with you on this incredible journey as we read your amazing journal! We are praying for you and are proud of you guys answering the prompting of your heart that God so divinely placed there.
I LOVE and MISS you guys! I wish we were there with you!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I am glad you knew the word! See, you are being watched over!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Amy C said...

I was reading your previous post about the other missionary saying that "someone would come soon, that his people had been praying for months." Amazing how another man's hope can be so inspiring. What a blessing is a man of such amazing faith. Thank you for sharing the Lord with a hopeless world. I will be praying for your faith to remain strong and for help to come quickly! I need to remember not to worry about the onions I run over in my life. . .

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you didn't get to keep the onions...He gets 200 shillings every time he puts them under an American's SUV...OK, probably 50 shillings from an ordinary American, but 200 from an "extra-ordinary" American...Tanzanian Business 101...wait till they find out about your reaction to "will work for food" signs...I think I see an opportunity for the export of magic markers and scraps of card board. Just kidding Kevin. I love your heart. May God continue to bless you all. - Tim

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home