Friday, November 19, 2004

A new respect for teachers…

today was my first day in the classroom, as a substitute teacher at Swiss Elementary. I learned so much: here are a few things that stand out:

1. ADD is for real. Someone ship me some Ritalin from Canada, please.
2. Teachers are underpaid (I made $37 dollars today, or $4.11/hr. Made twice that much per hour folding T-shirts in Vegas)
3. Everyone in your class gets to go to the bathroom 5 times an hour, while you have to hold it all day!
4. Our system aims at educating. Children in our society desperately need personal attention. These two components are often inconsistent.
5. Most elementary students have never had a “boy teacher”.
6. The loud students (usually boys) get more attention; the obedient students get overlooked.
7. After even one day, they feel like “my kids”. Thank God for children!


Funny question from Ben: “What grade is your son in?” “He’s 15 months old.” “No, WHAT GRADE?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home