Saturday, August 20, 2005

Racism in my front seat...

Charity, Josiah, and I are in Atlanta for a church planting conference (more on this later), and i had a case of the late night munchies, not aided by the open drive through windows I was forced to pass to run an errand for Charity, who was back in the hotel room. And I found a Taco Bell (which the faithful readers will know is no longer being boycotted), just what I wanted...

So why am I telling you this? Well, the story becomes interesting when, as I was picking up my spicy chicken burrito from the window, three black youths approached the passenger side of the car (I had seen a larger group in the parking lot). The employee peered out his window nervously, and I began to run through scenarios. Then, in an instant, the situation became clear:

"Go away. You can't order food if you aren't in a car".

Here are people wanting to buy food, but without a qualifying device to propel them through the drive through area (the lobby was closed). So I did whatever anyone who could empathize with their cravings would do: "do you want me to order the food for you?"

After hearing the longest, most complicated order in my life, I aaked one of the guys to jump in the car with me. We circled around to the microphone: "welcome to Taco Bell" "I need to place two separate orders" "YOU BETTER HAVE YOUR MONEY READY WHEN YOU GET TO THE WINDOW!!!"

Anyways, it became clear that this was about more than store policy, more than concern for the safety of people standing near traffic. This was about the worth of people. These black youth were second class citizens. They would be treated like criminals.

I had the opportunity to tell James what we were in town for, and had a short conversation about church, and about Jesus' concern for justice. I didn't have great words to say. But then James provided me with something to laugh about:

"can I give you some gas money?"

anyways, this is a good kid, well-meaning, who will not remain that way if everything continues to work against him.

Treat me like a criminal, and what will I become?

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd Lollar said...

Please keep writing, brother. i'm always blessed by God's breath through you!!!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home