Friday, October 21, 2005

Praying the psalms.

I have been reminded to resume a discipline I learned years ago. Eugene Peterson, in his book Under the Unpredictable Plant (a reference to Jonah chapter 4) advocates praying in the manner of the monks through the centuries: Praying the psalms repeatedly. Many orders of monks pray the entire psalter each week. I hope to pray the entire psalter each month.

Five psalms a day. But why now?

Because my prayer life stinks.

My son, Josiah, is more faithful in prayer than I am. He prays every night for Ray and Marty in Texas, for family, for our neighbor James Paul, and our neighbor Colby (and his lawnmower). I would rather read another blog than spend more time praying.

When I do pray, it is little more than listing things off to God. I skip the adoration. I am narrow in my prayers, rarely honest before God, and do not spend any time listening.

I desire to live a life of prayer before God. I will not make it on the mission field without this discipline (and where does the mission field end, anyways?). And I need a guide into this life of prayer. The psalms is the best collection of prayers in the world, offerings to God that are also inspired by God, and full of the words, ideas, and language that help sustain a life in communion with the Father.

So, being the 21st, I am jumping ahead to Psalm 101-105 today.

Oh, and I am looking for a bible translation that translates "chariots" into "lawnmowers".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Check out Joel Quile's blog. He is a mentor of mine, my old youth minister, who has recently moved to a church in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. He retells the words of his daughter Emily, who in her innocence prophetically challenges us to have a heart for the poor. Another example of how much we need to "unlearn" in order to become like the Father.

2 Comments:

Blogger mt said...

Kev,
Man I am right there with you brother. I have recently realized just how terrible it can get when I do not pay attention to the number one person in my life: God. Prayer is fundamental and central. I pray for your journey with GOd to be amazing and wonderful. I am very big on Carmelite spirituality--if you have not read anything on it I suggest that you get a book called Prayer Primer by Thomas Dubay and also his Fire Within; both are introductory reading for Carmelite contemplative prayer. Randy Harris does this stuff too.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Shanta said...

Kevin- Thanks for the honesty. So many of us can relate. I once heard a suggestion that we should treat the Proverbs like a daily calendar and likewise read it everyday. I'm also trying to get back into "spiritual shape." It is just like working out my tired old body- rusty and resistant at first, then at some point, true enjoyment accompanied by a refreshing feeling. Good luck and I'll be praying for you... seriously!

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home